We live in a world where it is a challenge to feed the planet and maintain future food resources in light of the increasing population. Biofloc provides easy and reliable service to cope with the condition that is prevailing in our society. With billions of people and animals residing on this planet, several issues associated with nourishment are seen. The rise of environmental pollution calls for eco-friendly methods of food generation and in other fields. Mainly production of fish, we use Biofloc in Bangladesh.
All these hazards and water pollution have not only destroyed the natural atmosphere but have also brought mega changes in the ecosystem. The mega transformation in weather, geographical, and topographical aspects throughout the world has made it challenging for human beings to live satisfactorily. By keeping all the points in view, not only human life has been destroyed, but the aqua, flora, and fauna have also faced irreversible damage.
The fishery is one of the biggest and most common sources of food. The fishery is described as raising and harvesting fish for consumption as food and meal. An enormous channel of capital is involved in this industry in Bangladesh. Apart from Bangladesh, fishing is one of the biggest sources of employment in the world. Since the consumption of fish has reached to record high, it is not possible to meet the demand using traditional fishing techniques.
With the changing times, the fishery industry has adopted more innovative and efficient methods of raising and harvesting fish in order to sustain the requirements. One such method is Biofloc technology which is evolved to deal with wastewater management, maintain biochemical cycles, and uphold the nutritional levels of aquatic life. This method has seen immense growth within a short span of time. At present, it is used extensively to ensure the high growth of aquatic life and the fishing industry. It basically aims at converting the toxic waste material generated within the aquatic water into protein-rich food for the life within.
Introduction of Biofloc in Bangladesh
Nowadays, aquaculture is the most important to secure, because many countries, that are researching aqua creatures as the staple food, are facing issues regarding their meal requirements. To cope with all these conditions, many techniques have been introduced, and aqua life is saved. Although many techniques have been introduced, the fear of causing damage to this life always remains constant. Proper nutrition is the prime factor and checking the national factors for the water or for artificial fishing is necessary. As the average human atmosphere depends upon the natural balancing of oxygen and Carbon, which exchanges between animals and plants, aqua life relies on the balance of Carbon and nitrogen. Biofloc is thought to be a revolution for bringing fishing and farming techniques.
The aquaculture industry, in this regard, is growing fast and plays a crucial role in eliminating hunger, promoting health, and generating jobs and economic opportunities. This industry has done a lot of positive changes, and they are one step ahead in illuminating enthusiasm and bringing reforms to nature. It is the culture of organisms in water under controlled conditions. Still, it is facing instability due to the waste of nutrients serving as food due to toxic metabolites, and environmental pollution. All these factors have combined to a significant extent and caused damage to the creature beneath the water. Technology serves to provide a solution to these problems and helps to stabilize the natural resources of food.
The Biofloc technique is a riveting waste management technique in aquaculture based on in situ microorganism production. As microorganism has done immense Biofloc is an aggregate or colony of microorganism like fungi, bacteria, algae, protozoa, etc., and suspended particles, colloids, and organic polymers. In aquaculture ponds, Biofloc technology improves water quality by the immobilization of toxic metabolites to microbial protein. The use of many chemicals and bacteria in this industry has proved helpful in promoting Heterotrophic bacterial growth is stimulated by the addition of carbohydrates and the uptake of nitrogen to form microbial proteins take place. It mainly depends on improving the Carbon to nitrogen ratio in aquaculture. If you maintain a perfect carbon-to-nitrogen ratio in the water, it will serve as the best for providing the best atmosphere to the creature. Fish and tilapia are among the species which show amplified growth and enhanced survival through this technique with zero or minimal water exchange under high-density water, aeration, and oxygen supply. This technique is beneficial in saving the life of an immense creature. Aquaculture also deserves equal care, and if you can provide them with all the necessities, they will serve more efficiently than anything else.
Biofloc fish farming is vital for developing countries like Bangladesh to overcome the challenges like a shortage of nutrients, the gap between nutrient demand and supply, and competition between water and land. As the fish culture in Bangladesh is very well regarded and considered, the Biofloc technique provides a very fruitful tool to increase fish production, and supply, and maintain a balance between the demand and supply of natural food resources. It is possible to produce tons of fish in aquaculture through the Biofloc technique with minimum water discharge and environmental degradation and therefore used by Traditional fish farmers to increase production. Various tools and equipment are required for Biofloc fish farming which is available in Bangladesh.
The history of Biofloc tells about the revolutions made by man in this field. The history of the Biofloc has a great impact while describing the life of aquaculture in all the drastic conditions. History also explains the man-made success in this field.
Initially, the Biofloc technique was developed in the early 1970s. This was done at the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea. This development was originally introduced with different penaeid species.
As the use of technology increased, and several studies were done, the relationship between water and bacteria and other aspects were noted. The limitations were studied by big countries in the 1980s and beginning of 1990s in their fish industries and challenged appropriately. Different countries started to explore this technique, especially under the pressure of meeting a balance between natural resource and their exploitation. It continued to grow worldwide due to its beneficial effects and providence and has been successfully expanded in large-scale shrimp farming, small-scale houses, and also in research centers and institutions in the fields of nutrition, microbial ecology, etc. Developed, as well as developing countries, have been successfully using this method to increase their fish culture. In developing countries, it provided more benefits in terms of maintaining a sound economy.
The principle of this technique is the maintenance of a higher C: N ratio and generation of nitrogen cycle through stimulating heterotrophic microbial growth and the extra addition of Carbon to aquaculture pond from external sources. This imbibes the nitrogenous waste that can be exploited by the cultured species as feed. Microbial products serve as food to fish.
The Role Of Microorganisms
Minimal water exchange under high water density, continuous aeration, and oxygen supply depends on the dynamic interaction between the colonies of microorganisms, including bacteria, microalgae, fungi, protozoa, etc., that grow naturally. When toxic ammonia and nitrates are breaking down, autotrophic and heterotrophic bacteria are allowed to multiply. This makes them attract a growing host of organisms. These organisms include diatoms, fungi, algae, and protozoans. It is common to see irregular masses in microscopic species.
Bacteria can reside anywhere in water and has certain qualities that distinguish them from other organisms. They reproduce faster, are more in number are highly likely to survive many harsh conditions which other organisms can’t. They have superpowers to recycle elements on Earth. This makes them useful in specific industries. They have provided undeniable services in killing toxic products and maintaining a pollution-free environment. Biofloc technique makes use of these traits of bacteria, making them one of the primary organisms playing a massive role in this regard as such:
- It causes the recycling of organic material by consuming these materials. This is a type of nutrition in which bacteria secrete enzymes out of their cells into dead organisms. Enzymes digest these organic materials and clear the debris.
- It minimizes ammonia accumulation in the water pond by assimilating it and converting it into microbial products which serve as fish food. Bacteria play an essential role in the nitrogen cycle and other atmospheric cycles. Humans are not capable of using nitrogen in the ways that bacteria can.
- Other microorganisms like fungi, cilia, and protozoa also play a vital role in the recycling of nutrients under the controlled conditions of the pond.
- They convert undigested feeds into proteins which serve as nutrients, and also control pathogens in water, thus maintaining the quality of water and preventing it from any kind of harm. In every way, the quality of water is not compromised. With the recycling of dead organic material along with the production of proteins, these microorganisms serve best in aquaculture overcoming all the flaws witnessed in traditional fish farming.
Biofloc In Bangladesh
The traditional way of fish farming comes with its demerits like time consumption, dependence on nature, harmful effects on the environment, and not enough fulfillment of demands. So many of Asia’s top shrimp industries are successfully shifting to the Biofloc technique, especially in Bangladesh as it is possible to cultivate fish 10 to 20 times more than the traditional method or any other process. Bangladesh has many ponds and
rivers, so Biofloc fish farming is a very profitable and economical method and has enormous potential there. It provides the best utilization of land and water resource and does not compromise on feeding resources.
Aquaculture has enormously benefited from Biofloc as we have seen a massive increase in fish production in Bangladesh. The rate of fish growth and the increased quality owe itself to this method of fish farming which is suitable for almost all kinds of the fish industry. Grown with this technique, the best quality fish are produced with zero to minimal effects on the environment, making it a great solution to the troubles faced by aquaculture.
Biofloc Fish Farming Items
Tons of metric fish can be produced in a Biofloc system. All these fishes always contain freshness, and they are thought to be the natural blessing of the Biofloc.
The first and foremost step you need to follow in Biofloc fish farming is the setup of a water tank/pond for fish to grow. Proper aeration, carbon supply, optimum temperature, and pH are some essential conditions you need to meet in order to pull off this technique successfully. Necessary Biofloc equipment required for the setup includes a Tarpaulin tank, Aeration pump, Fittings, an Air tube, Air tube connectors, Power generators, Biofilters, Degasser, an Oxygen cylinder, and Test kits. Healthy fish seeds, Chemicals, Probiotics, Medicines, and Feeds are also needed. More items are required according to the setup. In Bangladesh, owing to the rise in this technique, high-quality Biofloc items and equipment are available at reasonable prices, so you don’t need to fret over the equipment. There is no connection between mud and soil with fish and water in this technique.
The machines required for fish farming include:
- Biofloc fish farming tank
- Paddle wheel aerator
- Aquaculture aeration blower, aeration tube, High-density fish culture ozone generator,
- High-density fish farming deep air jet aerator
- High-density fish farming oxygen generator
- High-density Cleaning Product
- Geomembrane liner
- Water testing instruments like pH meters, TDS meters, DO meters, Ammonia testing equipment, Nitrite testers, Nitrate Testing kits, etc.
All the cleaning products that have been a part of these fishing industries contains easy chemical. There are different mechanisms of fish farming. This fish farming mechanism requires high care, and it should be negotiable and suitable for the budget. So, countries like Bangladesh are struggling and working hard on making their budget level with the strength of these fish farming techniques. If you belong to such a state and you want to keep your working parameter up to the use budget, always choose these recommended techniques—these techniques the helpful in maintaining your time and saving your worth as well.
Benefits Of Biofloc Fish Farming
The Biofloc technique is called a “blue revolution” because of its controlled, disease-free environment and amplified growth and harvesting. It has certain benefits over traditional fish farming and other techniques, making it better in many aspects as:
- It dramatically improves biosecurity which is not the case in conventional agriculture.
- It improves water and land use efficiently with our exploitation of neither. It solves one of the significant challenges faced by this Earth, which is the competition between water and land resources. It does not require or use a tremendously large area for its implementation. Moreover, it doesn’t require mud or soil, so it does not harm the water or land, two primary natural resources on this planet.
- It amplifies the growth rate of fish by allowing high-density fish farming. Growth rate increases under the optimal conditions provided by this fish farming technique. Tons of fish are produced which are superior in quality to those made by other processes.
- It also enhances the survival rate of fish by providing microbial proteins as food for fish and decreasing the demand for fish food too. It offers rich food to fish which does not let them die of starvation and lets them live.
- It increases the feed conversion ratio in aquaculture. It reduces protein-rich feed and provides cost-feed significant production, which is one of the most fruitful results of this technique, especially in economic aspects.
- It provides fish growth in a disease-controlled environment and also prevents the outbreak of infection by the release of toxic metabolites in the air. Being eco-friendly is the most noteworthy attribute of Biofloc fish farming.
- It prevents ammonium intoxication, which has hazardous effects on the environment.
- It has less dependence on nature than traditional fish farming. Various capable generators and machinery fulfill oxygen supply, aeration, and other demands. The work depends more on electric power than nature.
- It also has applications in the nursery rearing system.
- It reduces water pollution and the occurrence of pathogens in water. Bacteria once again provide their services at this moment clearing pathogens from water and not letting them detriment the quality of water.
In terms of profit, Biofloc in Bangladesh not only increase local fish growth but also helps gain profits through trade exchange. This practice has been beneficial both indoors and outdoors. It has shown significant productive results and is a sustainable business generating money and fulfill g nourishment demands while being environmentally friendly in all aspects.
Biofloc fish farming also comes with a few demerits as compared to other methods of fish farming:
- It requires higher levels of oxygen and energy for fish growth as compared to traditional fish farming which sometimes can’t be met.
- Alkalinity supplementation is required for this method which is a difficult task to do.
- It is very likely to cause nitrate accumulation in the system, which can cause pollution in the system. Nitrate accumulation is hazardous to the system because of its toxicity. These nitrates are generated from nitrates which are themselves generated from ammonium, a very toxic compound.
- Water respiration rates are elevated, which can cause reduced response time. It is one of the main disadvantages of this technique that come into notice.
- A start-up period is needed, which traditional fish farming usually does without. A tank, proper aeration, oxygen supply, test kits, air tubes, and fish seeds need to be in their best forms and set up properly without any shortcomings which can affect the result.
But the merits of this technique usually overcome the demerits, so it is indeed a favorable technique all in all. Further studies have been conducted in this field, and the wearer is likely to see an increase in Biofloc fish farming culture. More research and experiments will aid in the implementation of this useful technique in biotechnology and other fields. It is undoubtedly a revolutionary technique that has provided humankind with a solution to many ordeals it was facing in the way of maintaining proper nourishment setup, aquaculture, and environmental integrity in the light of the increasing population.
“Blue revolution” with its many benefits is one of the most significant achievements that humans have made using technology that if exploited correctly and with good intent, does nothing but serve every species on this planet. The interaction between water and life is controlled well using this method, which is sure to reach heights in the coming years, proving more and more to gain and very little to lose.
Conclusion of Biofloc In Bangladesh
The Biofloc technique is undoubtedly an eco-friendly technique that has served well to provide a solution to many challenges faced by the world in terms of food resources, land, water, and the environment. Its implementation in aquaculture has been seen to generate many positive results that wouldn’t have been possible with traditional fish farming. The consumption of microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, etc. serves to improve the feed concentration ratio and this cost in the feed. The dynamic interactions between living organisms in Biofloc and other particles or components are complex and astonishing, and human understanding has undoubtedly benefited from it using the technology. Good quality fish is available locally in countries with less dependence on export from other countries. Developing countries have made profound use of this perspective and have seen productive results.
Biofloc in Bangladesh is sure to see heaps and bounds as fish farming is on the rise there and fish culture in Bangladesh has been rising. The use of technology astoundingly benefits mankind and Biofloc fish farming is one of the noteworthy examples, with the biological merits it provides. The Biofloc technique provides aquaculture with a very innovative tool to meet its economic and environmental challenges. It has been dramatically productive in financial aspects as it increases the export of fish without posing harmful effects on local production, all in all, maintaining a balance between demand and supply. If we talk of environmental advantages, a decrease in pollution owing to minimal assimilation of toxic metabolites and recycling of dead organic material is witnessed, which is undoubtedly an achievement.